Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mercer Elementary

      Going to Mercer Elementary was a great experience. The first thing that caught my eyes were the students that were in the library with us. They were actually quiet, that was very different because when I was in elementary school I used to love talking. When I first got to school in the morning my friends and I used to act crazy. We would see each other and would turn into reckless machines. I actually remember one time my friend Shaq and I got in trouble for sliding candy back and forth to each other. We weren't supposed to be talking but he was acting like he couldn't understand what I was asking for, so I decided to say it out loud. The next striking thing to me was that the kids had to learn Chinese. That is amazing because I'm in college and learning a second language is extremely difficult for me and I'm much older than they are. I like how they stressed diversity. That seemed to be their main focus treating everyone the same. The principal stated that their are millionaire children and that there are kids on free and reduced lunch. The kids were very polite and respectful. We didn't see or hear about one issue. If there was an issue it was kept silent. The kids were noticing everything. I think that is important because that is teaching them to be aware at a young age. I remember I walked inside a classroom very quiet and the kids noticed me right away. I was really in "awww" by the way they behaved. I remember in my elementary school we used to have kids flipping desks, talking back, slamming their desks up and down to cause distractions. I'm a big quote guy, so the one that stuck out most to me said "Just because something is difficult doesn't mean you shouldn't try it means you should just try harder." Instilling that into young kids teaches them life values. I can use that same quote in my life and I'm an adult. A teacher said "Take a risk its okay to be courageous" by her telling that student that can change that students life. The student can be going through a difficult time in life but remembers what a teacher said to him and now he found a way to take a chance. I really appreciated my visit at Mercer it was humbling and a blessing in so many different ways. The opportunity was eye opening to what preaching diversity at a young age will do for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment