Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Blog Post 2

Michael Hollins
Public Place

            I was fortunate enough to be able to go to the mall for my public place assignment. I bought some food and sat back to watch everyone and what they were doing. You could tell who was familiar with the mall and who was not. The people who weren’t very familiar with the mall were looking up at the name of stores and were looking at the maps for guidance. Even at the food court you could tell who weren’t familiar with the food because they would continue to look at the different restaurant names. If you ate there before you would just go right up to the restaurant you want. For classes sake I actually asked someone who didn’t look like they were from here were they. Just as I assumed they weren’t from Ohio. The guy asked me how I knew. I told him I am doing a class observation assignment and by the way he was looking up at the store and checking his surroundings it was a blatant give away. He laughed and said “I’m going to have to act more American.” I told him I was able to tell because when I’m in the mall I am able to just find stores without it being a problem. I told him “don’t worry because if I was from a different country I’ll be doing the same thing.” He laughed and that was the end of our conversation. I also noticed that parents let their kids roam free around the mall at young ages. That stuck out so much to me because I don’t let my niece get out of my sight or even let my hand go when we’re in the mall. This family let their daughter who was no older than six walk far ahead of them. I know my niece would not even attempt that with me. It may be because their kid is familiar with the mall and goes often. I do not know if that is the case because I did not talk to that family as I did with that guy. I know I couldn’t let that happen because too much crazy things happen in this world. I know you can’t hide from all evil but if I can easily avoid it by holding my niece hand that’s what I’ll do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment