Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Orange High School

The first thing I noticed about Orange High School was the freedom that the students had. The students weren't being walked to class or being told to class. It was a great environment. I'm doing this in contrast to Maple Heights High School. In Maple the kids are usually being walked to class being told over and over that they should be in class. They can't walk through the hallways without being pressured about having a pass. That shows the type of freedom the kids have in Orange. I was fortunate enough to go into a physical education class. The first thing I thought about were the resources they had. To warm up they had music playing off of the teachers iPad. Now to stretch they had bands that loosened them up. It was unique because it made me think how I would run my gym class one day. I like the whole musical warm  up because it wakes the kids up. It definitely had the kids moving, that is a nice way to have them up and ready to go. In the back room they had exercise bikes that was also a big deal because each student has their own. I like how he ran his class if the student didn't want to participate in the daily routine they had another physical option. They didn't just have to lose credit. They could still earn points. The police officer actually came in and played a little while with the students. That was different because if the police came into Maple they were looking for something or someone. I know it may seems like I'm always down playing Maple but that isn't the case. I know what those kids over at Maple are exposed to and what they aren't. Now with that being said it takes people to give back. I'm fortunate enough to see the best of both worlds. I need to help inform those kids over at Maple to show them new opportunities and expose them to other worlds. First I have to become successful to be able to do that for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment